Friday, January 11, 2008

Fun in Dublin

I really wanted to go somewhere while Jessica was here so we found super cheap tickets to Dublin. As in $100 round trip! Cheap airfare + cheap hostel = FUN IN IRELAND! We were there for two days and I absolutely loved it. The city is very quaint and everyone was super nice. It had a wonder atmosphere, beautiful scenery, fun people, historic buildings, and great food. We went on a fantastic tour of Dublin Castle, which was built a long long time ago (the 1200s maybe?) but burnt down in maybe the 1600s. It was rebuilt more as an administrative place for the viceroys of Ireland and visiting dignitaries and such. But part of the original castle still stands. The tour guide was really great and definitely knew her stuff. No, we did not do the tour of the Guiness factory...I hate the stuff though if I had more time I guess I would have gone.
We went to a town just south of Dublin called Dalkey, which has a castle and is on the coast. The castle was really neat to walk around in, because we got a personal tour and free reign of the place. Then we really wanted to take a walk along the coast because it's supposed to be amazingly beautiful. We started out and it began POURING. I mean I've never been in such harsh rain and wind in my life. I think it was a monsoon. The wind broke both my and Jessica's umbrellas. It dominated. We were so wet that we had to buy new pants in Dublin. But totally worth it! There were some amazing mansions along the coast, and apparently Bono lives in one!

Remaining part of the original Dublin Castle

Christchurch Cathedral
Jessica on top of the Dalkey Castle. Such a cute little town!

Don't piss me off

Jessica is trying to hold back the monsoon that we walked through. Unfortunately the wind beat her umbrella into submission


This is my future house on the Dalkey coast. Currently a residence of the Moroccan embassy...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I think I'm still a little wet from Dalkey.