Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Walk to School

OK so I thought I'd take you on the walk that I try and do everyday--the walk from my residence (near the Tower Bridge) to the LSE (near Aldwych). It usually takes about 45 minutes and is amazing. It's almost entirely along a path following the river west and passes landmarks like the Tower Bridge, the Tate Modern, the Globe Theatre, St. Paul's, etc. So enjoy!

A block or so away from my residence, you're walking down the street, and BAM! The Tower Bridge around the corner! This is a really cool area that used to be all warehouses and was taken over by artists in the 1960s I think, then gentrified in the 1980s.


This weird looking building is the City Hall. From across the river it looks like a sphere, but from this angle it just looks strange. The mayor of London, Ken Livingston, works here!

Southwark Cathedral (pronounced suth-erk, really fast!) A gorgeous place!

This is where the river path veers off, and you have to walk down some really cool narrow, cobblestone streets. This is the Clink Prison Museum.

Shakespeare's Globe Theatre!

This is the Millennium Bridge that crosses over to the City (the financial district) and puts you right at St. Paul's Cathedral. I always thought it was an interesting juxtaposition--the millennium bridge leading to this really old and historic church...

The Tate Modern museum, with a giant metal spider thing out front.... the museum is a converter power plant!

OK now I've crossed over Blackfriars Bridge to get to the north side of the Thames. This is a view of I think it's called Queen Victoria walk--basically a river path that I think is really beautiful.

A view looking to the north, you can see the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament. The bridge is Waterloo Bridge, which I sometimes will cross because you get an amazing view of the city.

This is Aldwych, a really really busy intersection-like place. The building is the Australian Embassy. Almost to the school!

The Royal Courts of Justice are right next to the LSE!

And this is the LSE! The main entrance is Houghton Street. There aren't many people here yet because it's only 9:00 AM!

Oh yes, the Economists' Bookshop! A place for economics and politics nerds like me...

2 comments:

smiling abs said...

hey! thanks for the tour! wow..a 45-minute walk! that's awesome exercise and great sights to see! :o)

Jessica said...

excellent post. :-) I feel like I'm there! only, sadly, I'm not